Monday, January 16, 2012

Midfielder swaps Old Trafford for Goodison Park in bid for first-team football

Darron Gibson

Darron Gibson struggled to win a regular first-team place at Manchester United

Everton have completed the signing of midfielder Darron Gibson from Barclays Premier League champions Manchester United for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old Republic of Ireland international has signed a four-and-a-half year contract at Goodison Park, ending an eight-year association with United.

Gibson becomes Everton's second capture of the January transfer window after the loan signing of US forward Landon Donovan, and the Irishman could make his Toffees debut at Aston Villa on Saturday 14th January.

"Hopefully I can score some goals, but I want to do as well as I can for the team"
- Darron Gibson

"It's a great club with great fans and hopefully I can improve Everton,", Gibson told the club's official website (evertonfc.com). "I think I'm a goalscoring midfielder and hopefully I can get a few goals.

"I've scored a few long-range shots - I don't think I've scored one inside the box to be honest.

"If I score goals it's a bonus for me. I'm just looking to do as well as I can for the team."

Londonderry-born Gibson played his last match for United in their 5-0 win over Wigan on Boxing Day, but that was his only League appearance of the season.

Gibson played 60 matches in all competitions for United, scoring 10 goals, but made only 14 Barclays Premier League starts as he struggled to hold down a first-team place.

He enjoyed a six-month spell out on loan at Wolves from October 2007 to April 2008, playing 24 times for Mick McCarthy's side.

No comments:

Post a Comment